The Long Voyage Set-Up

 


I'm really stoked to hear that there are so many women from my region signing up for Gravel Worlds through their 1000 Women initiative. While I did the Long Voyage (read the race report here) and was prepared for 300 miles, and therefore the following information might not be useful for anyone doing less miles, I did want to share my set-up for anyone choosing to walking the plank this coming year. Or, any other self-supported ultra event that you might be tackling. I'm happy to answer questions - send me a direct message on instagram if you're seeking a hype-girl and advice.


 I rode my sweet adventure bike, a Liv Devote Adv 1. gravel rig I call the Littlest Crow. With a wider wheel base, she's a very stable bike for gnarly terrain and has a dropper post (a little unnecessary in Lincoln, but terribly good fun on single-track descents).  

Here are the bike set-up specs:

  1. Liv Devote Adv 1, carbon frame with carbon fork
  2. 1x set up, Shimano 40t
  3. Shimano cassette, 11-42
  4.  Hunt USA 30 Carbon All-Road Wheelset
  5. w. hydraulic disc brakes
  6. & 43 mm Panaracer Gravel King SKs with Stans No Tubes
  7. Redshift Sports, ShockStop Stem @ 90mm +/- 6-degrees
Hauling set-up:
  1. Top-tube bag, bolt-on with zipper closure, by Sub-48 Bags
  2. 2L Racing Frame Bag, by Apidura 
  3. 16 oz. tool keg, by Specialized, secured with a Voile Strap by Rodeo Labs
  4. Large seat post bag, brand unknown, not pictured

For repairs, in the Specialized Keg, I carried the following:
  1. Multi-tool with chain breaker, by Crank Brothers (Multi-17),
  2. wrapped in an old rag
  3. Tire lever, x1
  4. Wolf Tooth Components Master Links Plier Combo Multi-Tool
  5. w. 11-spd Master Links x2
  6. Spare rear derailleur hanger
  7. Cleat bolts x 2
  8. Tire patch/boot kit, by Park Tool, x2
  9. Sides of bacon patch kit, by Park Tool, I think?
  10. CO2 Insufflation adapter, by Lezyne
  11. CO2 cartridges, x2
  12. Hand wipes, although I never use them...
  13. Electrical tape, not shown 
& in my seat bag and frame bag, I carried:
  1. 38 - 45 mm 700 c tubes, shrink wrapped
  2. Rock N Roll Gold chain lube and rag
  3. Tongue depressor to scrape mud, x1
  4. Zip ties, x 3
  5. Spare Lights N Motion 6-cell battery
  6. Power Core portable battery @ 20,000 mAh, by Anker
  7. Charging cable, Micro-C and C
& on the frame, I carried:
  1. Hand pump, by Lezyne

For hydration & nutrition, stored in my CambelBack and top tube bag:
  1. Chase Hydration pack, 50 oz, by CamelBack
  2. w. a 2L hydration pouch
  3. & a 12 oz water bottle and 16 oz water bottle
  4. Nuun Endurance tabs, 3 tubes
  5. Peanut butter packets, x4
  6. Honey Stinger gels, x8
  7. and Pop Tart package, x2

For safety, comfort and hygiene, I carried in my frame bag and CamelBack

  1. Pocket knife
  2. Dog Mace
  3. SpotTracker, rented from the Gravel Worlds team
  4. Sunglasses, yellow lenses, by Goodr
  5. Long-fingered cycling gloves, by Pearl Izumi
  6. Thin, long sleeved base-layer shirt 
  7. & black windbreaker gilet, by Pearl Izumi
  8. Earbuds
  9. Small, battery powered flashlight
  10. Nylon stockings for ice or tying up gear
  11. EuroStyle Chamois Butt'r
  12. OB tampons, cause that's literally my luck
  13. First Aid Kit: Tegaderm, Band-aids, Triple Anti-biotic ointment, Tums, Ranitidine, Advil & Caffeine tabs
  14. Toilet Paper and Baby Wipes

For lights, I had:
  1. Seca Comp 2000, by Lights N Motion, mounted to helmet
  2. Seca Enduro, by Lights N Motion, mounted under K-Edge computer mount
  3. Hot Shot Pro 150 rear tail light, by Cygolite 

& the rest of the story:
  1. Specialized Prevail helmet
  2. Cycling cap, by Rothera
  3. Wahoo Elmnt Roam, with loaded maps
  4. Body Geometry Grail gloves, by Specialized
  5. Kerchief by an indigenous artist, not pictured
  6. Trail wallet, by Sub-48 Bags, with driver's license, insurance card, credit card and cash
  7. Cell phone
  8. Bibs and Jersey, by Velocio
  9. Recon 3.0, by Specialized
  10. Bracelets and keychain, to honor the Tippecanoe County Court Appointed Special Advocate
What I would have done differently, had COVID-19 illness and work not interfered with planned training rides:
  1. Trusted my ability to find food & not have carried so much? Still questionable...
  2. Ditched the Chamois Butt'r brand and used Barrier Balm sooner. 
  3. Used the Expedition Frame Bag by Apidura for more carrying space - but I was concerned about running out of water in the heat of the day
  4. Used my [new] handlebar feed bag, even though it would have been used sight-blind
  5. Trusted my battery set-up to not have carried 2 power-packs and spare battery...? I don't think I made the wrong decision, though.
  6. Triple checked my bike fit... something was not right with my fit ever since Coast to Coast...







Comments

Popular Posts